Nasty Parasite Diagnosis, When and How Did This Happen?
Sometime ago a good friend told me that they were diagnosed with Strongyloides stercorales (aka threadworms). This is a pretty nasty parasite and life-threatening. My friend isn’t 100% sure how they became infected. However, doctors have speculated that it could have been a trip made years ago while visiting another country. They were given Ivermeticin, but I’m uncertain if their problem has been resolved.
Several months ago I had another friend tell me that they had discovered parasites and are looking into getting a diagnosis. Unfortunate, but a common scenario, their first test came back negative even though an obvious worm was put in the specimen jar. For years this person has been dealing with numerous health issues. Although speculative, it is uncertain how long there has been a hidden parasite problem that could have initiated a compromise in health. My friend has not traveled outside of the country and is unsure of the origins of their initial exposure.
Naturally, questions arise, ‘Why or how does this happen?’ and ‘Why me, because I’m a clean person?’ Let’s look at possible answers.
If a person is infected, shaking hands or handling food can easily be done from person-to-person; parasite eggs can hide within feces underneath the fingernails even with ‘clean’ hands (this was discovered in a survey at famous posh restaurants in California).
PCI had these comments to make about the matter:
“The common belief that people in the US are free of parasites is a great illusion. Some estimate that about 50 million American children are infected with worm parasites; only a small portion of which is detected and reported.”
“As reported by the Parasitologist, Omar Amin, Ph.D., in a five-star restaurant, samples were taken from under the fingernails of the entire staff, and 100% of them tested positive for feces under their nails. “Bon Appetit!”
In truth, parasite infections can be picked up anywhere, even during childhood years and a person can live with an undetected infection for a long time. During the many years of reading about parasites, I have strongly considered that a majority of diseases could possibly be related to one or several co-infective parasites wreaking havoc in people. It is a known fact that parasites, such as, tapeworms can live for 30 years in their host; their eggs can lie dormant without a host just as long until a new host is found to begin their life cycle. These creatures are tenacious! A colony of Ascaris can live 10-15 years within a host. Strongyloides can live 40-50 years in a person after exposure; autopsies from veterans of the Korean or Japanese wars in the 1930-40’s have proven that parasites can exists without a person ever knowing it. These are just a few examples of what cestodes and nematodes can do. There are, however, thousands into millions of parasites that can be potential invaders; not included in this post, but just as important are fungi and bacterial strains that are within the parasite category.
Somehow the wisdom of deworming or herbal cleansing got lost within a generation or two. In the early 1900’s this was a regular practice, usually every quarter, of our grandparents’ or great-grandparents’ generation. One person shared with me that it was common practice that her uncle would watch his children while sleeping and if there were any sign of grinding teeth, he knew that a parasite problem was present. He had learned this simple method from his parents. Another easy sign was constant nose picking, because worms would work their way into the nose cavity causing itching. The most unpleasant and obvious signs were if someone was digging in the rear-end or unable to sit still with wiggling. Generally, it was assumed that if one person was infected the whole family was infected whether they showed symptoms or not. In the late 1880’s doctors calculated that one person who had a tapeworm infection could easily infect a block of people or their entire neighborhood within a very short period of time. Great care and high sanitation standards are necessary at all times. I’ve always been a clean person and discovering my parasite infection was a great shock to me.
Long time ago, I couldn’t figure this one out but the signs were there all along. I use to be woken up in the middle of the night with violent coughing fits. I had no idea that I was infected and that worms were coming up my throat at night looking for food. (While researching about worm parasites, I had read that this is a behavior of theirs and it all made sense to me.) I use to blame my coughs on the dry air but this wasn’t the case, at all. During the early 1990’s, I had strange high fevers and some other symptoms that lasted for months. Doctors didn’t know what was causing the problem. For a solid year I had to be careful otherwise symptoms would trigger high fevers and sickness. Simply drinking a few cups of hot tea consecutively or exercise could start things up. Eventually my symptoms were labeled as a ‘virus’. Oddly enough no specific ‘virus’ was named; it remained a mystery to the 3-4 doctors that I had seen who did numerous tests. To be honest, this was bad doctoring with practicing medicine.
At that time, I was certain that I had gotten infected by someone who had traveled throughout Mexico the previous year; I had even suggested doing a parasite test but was dismissed by the doctors because I hadn’t traveled. Unfortunately, I trusted the doctors with believing them, because after all they ‘know what’s best’ I was told. Had I pursued my suspicions by being persistent with testing, there is a possibility that at the beginning stages of that infection it could have been caught. I now know the truth. Years later, the discovery of a parasite infection was seriously out of control and a painful experience. Being infected isn’t always easy to isolate. I could have also been infected by another person, eaten undercooked meats or raw food handling (i.e, sushi, unwashed vegetables and fruits), or petting animals with an underlying problem; although these other scenarios are possibilities, I strongly believe that I became infected by the above mentioned person. It is likely that co-infections occurred by compounding the initial weakness within my immune system.
Here’s a truth that everyone should consider….
Years ago a parasite infection occurred in me; my friends; bloggers on this site; and many others that I have met. Therefore, this problem is very real and can happen to anyone at anyplace. It is a myth that a person can’t get infected or that nothing passes the stomach acids. This is a complete fallacy. The fact is, parasites don’t discriminate in a class of people and they don’t care how they will infect someone. Should you live in paranoia or live in a plastic bubble? No, of course not. Watch what you eat and take extra care before putting your hands to your lips which is a first point of entry. Washing your hands (hand wipes won’t do) with soap and warm water before every meal can be to your advantage.
The first order of business is to get rid of a possible hidden worm problem. Almost every person that I know did not do just one cleanse that revealed their infection; it took several consecutive cleanses and this is when some parasites loosened their grip. All of us initially did a cleanse because we didn’t feel well and doctors weren’t helping. Unfortunately, there was a larger issue to be discovered other than ‘not feeling well’.
Therefore, it makes senses to return to old-aged wisdom with regular parasite cleansing and a detox program as a lifestyle, for life.
|« Monsters Inside Me - Another New Series! - Acinetobacter Baumannii, Ascaris and Rabies - Post 1||Antibiotic Resistance: Serious Concerns Arise »|